Mackerels or Sardines – 10, large
Onions – 4, large, sliced
Tomatoes – 2, large, sliced
Garlic – 1 pod, sliced fine
Ginger – 1 inch piece, sliced fine
Salad Oil – 3 tbsp
Vinegar – 1 tbsp
Turmeric Powder – 1/4 tbsp
Green Chillies – 4
Potatoes – 2
Salt as per taste
1. Spread a few slices of onions and tomatoes in a pan.
2. Halve mackerels and place half the quantity over the onion and tomato slices in the pan.
3. Put another layer of onions and tomatoes and cover with the remaining mackerels.
4. Lastly, sprinkle with ginger and garlic and the remaining onion and tomato slices.
5. Keep the pan on the fire.
6. Pour the oil, 6 or 7 tblsp of water and the vinegar over the fish.
7. Add salt if desired.
8. Close the lid of the pan and allow the fish to cook on a slow fire.
9. Shake the pan once in a while.
10. When the fish is half done, sprinkle turmeric powder and add green chillies.
11. Serve with sliced potatoes.