Fish – 1/2 kg, cleaned and cut into small pieces (ideally white fish)
Long grained rice – 2 cups
Chopped onions – 2 large sized
Desiccated coconut – 2 tbsp
Ground coriander – 1 tbsp
Turmeric powder – 1 1/2 tbsp
Ginger – 1 inch
Ground cumin seeds – 2 tsp
Fenugreek seeds – 1/2 tsp
Bay leaf – 1
Lime juice – 1/2
Oil – 1/2 cup
Salt as per taste
1. Soak the cleaned rice in cold water for atleast 1 hour.
2. Clean and cut the fish into 2 inch pieces.
3. Fry the mixture of coriander, cumin, turmeric, fenugreek and ginger in 2 tbsp of oil for about a minute.
4. Now add the fish pieces to the mixture and stir gently.
5. Cover the pan and allow the fish to cook for 5 minutes or till they get softened. Then remove from fire and keep aside.
6. In another pan take the remaining oil and fry the onions with the bay leaf till they turn brown.
7. Now drain the rice and add to the fried onions and cook further with coconut and lemon juice for a couple of minutes.
8. Boil the fresh fish mixture with a cup of water and pour this water into the rice mixture.
9. Add more warm water to simmer and cook the rice.
10. Place the rice on a serving plate and arrange the cooked fish pieces on top.
11. Garnishh with chopped coriander leaves.