Semiya Payasam (or Vermicelli Payasam or Vermicelli Kheer) is a very popular and traditional South Indian dessert made during special occasions, festivals like Diwali, Navratri, Tamil New Year and South Indian weddings. One of the easiest payasam to make, this is made with roasted vermicelli (semiya), milk & sugar garnished with cashew nuts and raisins.
Ingredients for Semiya Payasam
- 250 g Semiya (Vermicelli)
- 1 1/2 litres Milk
- 250 g Sugar
- 2 tblsp Ghee
- handful Cashew Nuts chopped
- handful Raisins
- little Cardamom Powder
- few Green Grapes
How to make Semiya Payasam
- Heat a little ghee in a pan over medium flame.
- Add the vermicelli and stir-fry until light golden brown.
- Pour the milk and mix well.
- Reduce flame and simmer until the vermicelli is cooked and soft.
- Add sugar and stir until sugar has fully dissolved.
- When the payasam starts to thicken, switch off the flame.
- Fry the cashew nuts and raisins in the remaining ghee.
- Add to the kheer along with cardamom powder.
- Stir gently and remove.
- Serve warm or at room temperature or chilled.