Semiya Payasam (or Vermicelli Payasam or Vermicelli Kheer) is a very popular and traditional South Indian dessert made during special occasions and weddings. One of the easiest payasams to make, this is made with roasted vermicelli (semiya), milk & sugar garnished with cashew nuts and raisins.
Vermicelli (Semiya) – 250 gms
Milk – 1 1/2 litres
Sugar – 250 gms
Ghee – 2 tblsp
Cashew Nuts – handful, chopped
Raisins – handful
Cardamom Powder – little
Green Grapes – few
1. Heat a little ghee in a pan over medium flame.
2. Add the vermicelli and stir-fry until light golden brown.
3. Pour the milk and mix well.
4. Reduce flame and simmer until the vermicelli is cooked and soft.
5. Add sugar and stir until sugar has fully dissolved.
6. When the payasam starts to thicken, switch off the flame.
7. Fry the cashew nuts and raisins in the remaining ghee.
8. Add to the kheer along with cardamom powder.
9. Stir gently and remove.
10. Serve warm or at room temperature or chilled.
Note: If the payasam has thickened, add a little milk and warm it up a little. Stir well and serve.
Receive the latest recipes & kitchen tips !