Olive Oil – 3 tblsp
Chicken Pieces – 4, about 175 gms each, halved
Onion – 1, chopped
Garlic Cloves – 2, finely chopped
Hot Dried Red Chilli – 1 (or 2 Milder Dried Chillies)
Sesame Seeds – 1 tblsp, toasted, plus extra to garnish
Chopped Almonds – 1 tblsp
Ground Cinnamon – 1/4 tsp
Cumin – 1/4 tsp
Cloves – 1/4 tsp
Tomatoes – 3, peeled and chopped
Raisins – 2 tblsp
Chicken Stock – 350 ml
Peanut Butter – 1 tblsp
Plain Chocolate – 25 gms (with a high cocoa content), grated, plus extra to garnish
Salt and Pepper
1. Heat 2 tblsp of the oil in a large frying pan.
2. Add the chicken and cook until browned on all sides.
3. Remove the chicken pieces with a slotted spoon and set aside.
4. Add the onion, garlic and chillies and cook for 5 minutes or until softened.
5. Add the sesame seeds, almonds and spices and cook for 2 minutes stirring all the time.
6. Add the tomatoes, raisins, chicken stock, peanut butter and chocolate and stir well.
7. Season to taste with salt and pepper and simmer for 5 minutes.
8. Transfer the mixture to a food processor or blender and process until smooth.
9. Return the mixture to the frying pan, add the chicken and bring to the boil.
10. Reduce the heat, cover and simmer for 1 hour or until the chicken is very tender, adding more liquid if necessary.
11. Garnish with sesame seeds and a little grated chocolate.