It’s been one hell of a week. A week away from the every day grind. A week away from work, obligations, chores and daycare. My family and I hit the road last Saturday for Bethany Beach, DE. Sea Colony to be exact. The car was packed full to the brim and we hit the road last Saturday with only one thing in our sights: THE BEACH!
You know a vacation was a success (and tons of freaking fun) when it goes by in a flash. Just like that, in the blink of an eye, our vacation came to end this morning…in a flash. We had such a good time over this past week. We played in the sand, touched our toes in the ocean, swam like fish in the pool, walked the boardwalk, rode the rides and laughed till it hurt.
We were sad to leave this morning, but I was anxious to get home and back into the kitchen. My pantry was a little light this evening, so I ran to my neighborhood grocery mart, grabbed a few odds and ends and put together a simple, light and healthy dinner: Pesto Linguine with Chicken.
This dish is so easy, colorful and tastes amazing. It’s healthy, yet feels like comfort food. Did I mention that color? I am a visual person. A sucker for great color in the food that I’m eating. My Pesto Linguine with Chicken is vibrant and colorful.
Pesto Linguine with Chicken
- 1 package Linguine (I used Delallo pasta)
- 2-3 tbsp Sweet Basil Pesto (I used the Delallo brand. It's my favorite pesto.)
- 1/4 cup Low Sodium Chicken Stock
- 1 tbsp EVOO (Extra Virgin Olive Oil)
- 2 Cloves Garlic minced
- 1/2 Small Yellow Onion chopped
- 1 pint Cherry Tomatoes halved
- 4 Boneless Skinless Chicken Thighs diced into 1 inch pieces
- to taste Salt and Pepper
- Paprika for color
- In a large stock pot, bring water to a boil. Before adding the pasta, salt the water. Add pasta and cook as per package directions.
- Season the chicken with salt, pepper and paprika.
- In a large sauté pan, over medium heat, add EVOO.
- Add the chicken to the pan and cook until all sides are lightly browned. Once browned, reserve chicken in a dish for later use.
- Over medium heat, in the same pan, add garlic and sauté until aromatic. Then, add the onions and cook for another 2-3 minutes or until the onions are translucent.
- Add the tomatoes. Cook for 7-10 minutes, stirring often. Cook until the tomatoes start to break apart.
- Add the pesto and stir, coating the tomatoes evenly. Add the chicken broth slowly, creating a sauce. Stir frequently.
- Now add the chicken back to the pan and coat evenly.
- Turn the heat to low and using tongs, add the pasta to the pan and stir. Cook for another 5 minutes.
- Serve immediately.