Drumstick Leaves – 2 cups, cleaned, picked and washed
Green Moong Dal – 2 tblsp
Onion – 1, chopped (optional)
Juice of 1 Lemon
Salt to taste
Oil – 3 tsp
Cumin Seeds – 1 tsp
Asafoetida – a pinch
Green Chillies – 2, minced
Ginger – 1/2 inch piece, minced
1. Soak dal overnight, and next day, tie loosely in a muslin cloth and hang it for a whole day.
2. On the third day, the dal would have sprouted.
3. Remove the dal carefully from the cloth, transfer onto a vessel and steam cook for 5-7 minutes.
4. Heat oil, add seasonings, when cumin seeds are done, add chillies, ginger and onion, fry till browned.
5. Add drumstick leaves, saute for another 3 minutes.
6. Allow to cook till tender, adding water only if necessary.
7. Add sprouted moong, salt and cook for a further 2 to 3 minutes.
8. Remove, sprinkle lemon juice.
9. Serve as an accompaniment with rice or chapathis.