Tomato Pickle is a simple and tangy pickle that can be made easily at home.
Tomato Pickle or Tamatar ka Aachar is a perfect accompaniment to curd rice, roti, naan or dosa.
This is pickle is very popular across India and is often served as part of breakfast or dinner. Most households have their own time-tested recipe that are handed down from generations.
- 250 g Firm Red Tomatoes washed and chopped
- 1 1/2 tsp Powdered Sea Salt
- 3 tsp Red Chilli Powder
- 1/3 cup Tamarind Extract
- 60 to 75 ml Gingelly Oil
- 1/2 tsp Mustard Powder
- 1/2 tsp Fenugreek Powder
- 1/2 tsp Asafoetida Powder
- Heat oil in a pan over medium flame.
- Add asafoetida powder and stir for 10 seconds.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and saute well.
- Add tamarind extract, salt and red chilli powder
- Cook for a few minutes, until the water has almost evaporated and tomatoes have changed colour.
- Stir well and continue to cook until the oil starts to float.
- Add mustard powder, fenugreek powder and mix well.
- Switch off the flame.
- Transfer the pickle to a clean, sterilizted jar and cover with a lid.
- Serve with curd rice, roti or dosa.
This recipe was first published on August 3, 2015. It has been updated on Sept 08, 2020.