Creamy Alfredo Chicken Pasta, as the name suggests, is a pasta served with chicken cooked in smooth, buttery white sauce, known as the Alfredo sauce. Pasta lovers across the world have a special place in their hearts and tummies for the Alfredo which is made from butter and parmesan cheese.
Originating from Italy, this super simple sauce forms the base for not just pasta, but many other dishes world over. While the original Alfredo calls for only two ingredients, over time, this has changed. In our dish today, we create the creamy base using flour, butter, milk and Parmesan cheese.
Parmesan is a variety of hard cheese that has a very unique nutty taste. Just a small amount imparts a lot of flavour. However, unlike the West, in India, this cheese is hard to get and quite expensive. Which is why its flavour is such a blessing as a small amount goes a long way. For the modern pasta lover, any type of pasta would suffice to make this dish. But for the sticklers, it’s best to use the Fettucine or flat noodle pasta. If you are unable to find Parmesan, don’t fret, you can still make this recipe using Cheddar cheese. You may have to slightly double the quantity used.
So, just grab some chicken, your favourite pasta, butter, flour, milk and you are all set to make the irresistible Creamy Alfredo Chicken Pasta.
Serves : 2-3
- Chicken Breast – 200g, diced
- Butter – 2 tbsp
- Oregano – 1/2 tsp
- Basil – 1/2 tsp
- White Pepper powder – 1/2 tsp
- Salt – as per taste
- Fettucine Pasta – 200g (can use any other pasta also)
- Parsley – handful leaves, chopped
- Parmesan Cheese – 20g (Cheddar, optional)
For the Sauce:
- Butter – 2 tbsp
- Garlic – 4 large cloves, minced
- Wheat flour – 3 tbsp
- Milk – 2 Cups (approx 500 ml)
- Oregano & Basil – 1/2 tsp each
- White Pepper – 1/2 tsp
- Salt as per taste
- Parmesan Cheese – 30 g
- In a pan, over medium heat, melt the butter and add the chicken breast pieces.
- Season with salt, pepper and herbs and allow it to cook until it is lightly browned for 5-10 minutes. Set this aside.
- In the same pan, over medium flame, heat the butter under Sauce and add the minced garlic to it.
- Mix in the flour and stir well to get a coarse powdery mixture.
- Add the milk little by little and keep stirring all the while to avoid lumps and ensure smooth sauce.
- Keep stirring until the sauce thickens.
- Add the Parmesan cheese, under Sauce, and stir until it melts and is fully incorporated.
- Now mix in the cooked chicken.
- Pour this over the cooked pasta, garnish with parsley and Parmesan cheese.
For the pasta:
- Bring around 2 litres of salted water to a boil in a heavy bottomed vessel.
- Cook the pasta in this, with a few drops of oil, for 15-20 minutes or until al-dente (pasta is almost cooked and has a slight bite to it).
- Drain and run under cold water.