A simple and easy to make pickle with onions. A great accompaniment to curd rice, dosa or idli.
Onions – 250 gms
Tamarind – a small lemon size, seedless
Jaggery – 1/2 tblsp, powdered
Fenugreek (Vendhayam) Powder – 1/2 tsp
Asafoetida Powder – 12 tsp
Red Chilli Powder – 3/4 tsp
Turmeric Powder – 1/4 tsp
Oil – 2 1/2 tblsp
Salt as per taste
1. Slice the onions lengthwise.
2. Heat a frying pan over medium flame.
3. Saute the tamarind for a few minutes.
4. Remove the tamarind and grind it to a fine paste, adding a little water.
5. To the same pan, add oil and saute the onions until golden.
6. Add the tamarind paste, fenugreek powder, asafoetida powder, red chilli powder, turmeric powder and salt.
7. Saute for a minute or two.
8. When the oil starts to separate, add the jaggery and stir well.
9. Remove from flame and store it in an airtight container.
10. Serve with curd rice, idli or dosa.
Receive the latest recipes & kitchen tips !