Keema matar is a dish that is traditionally served in India and Pakistan. It is a dish that is made up of ground lamb, onions, and peas. The dish is usually served with rice or naan or used as a filling for lamb samosa.
In Bangladesh this dish is traditionally made with mustard oil but it can also be made with other cooking oils or butter. In some regions, lamb is replaced by ground beef. The consistency of the dish is usually dry.
The dish has many regional variations but typically includes garlic, ginger and green chillies mixed in with the meat mixture. Sometimes it also includes potatoes or tomatoes or eggplant as well as the peas.
Keema Matar Recipe
Ingredients for Keema Matar
- 250 g Ground Lamb
- 3 tsp Oil
- 1/4 tsp Cumin Seeds
- 1/4 tsp Mustard Seeds
- 1 Small Dry Red Chilli halved
- 1 Green Chilli slit
- 1 to 2 tsp Ginger Garlic Paste
- 2 to 3 tblsp Onion chopped
- 1/4 cup Green Peas
- 1/8 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1/4 tsp Red Chilli Powder
- 2 tsp Garam Masala Powder
- handful Coriander Leaves
- handful Mint Leaves
- as per taste Salt
How to make Keema Matar
- Heat a pan over medium flame.
- Cook the ground lamb for 3 to 5 minutes until it turns from pink to light brown.
- Drain any fatty liquid and keep the lamb in a bowl.
- To the same pan, add the oil.
- Add the dry red chilli, cumin seeds, mustard seeds and saute for 10 seconds.
- Add the green chilli, ginger garlic paste, onion and peas.
- Mix well to combine and cook for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add the cooked lamb, red chilli powder, turmeric powder, garam masala powder, salt and mint leaves.
- Stir well until evenly mixed.
- Cover the pan with a lid and cook for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Switch off the flame and garnish with coriander leaves.
- You can serve this as is or use this as a filling for lamb samosa or serve it alongside roti or naan.