Tirunelveli is a flourishing district of Tamil Nadu also referred as Nellai by the local Tamilians. Apart from the tourist destinations and rich cultural heritage, the place is also known for its culinary culture and lip-smacking non-vegetarian dishes.
Tirunelveli Mutton Kuzhambu is a spicy and delicious mutton curry recipe that speaks volumes about the amazing food tradition of Tamil Nadu. Apart from spicy dishes, this place is also known for its wonderful halwa (dessert) referred to as Nellai alvaa by the locals.
A good thing about this mutton curry recipe is that you can control its spiciness and flavor as per the demands of your taste buds. Also, you can simply replace mutton by chicken pieces and the curry will still hold a special place in your heart.
You can have this dish with roti, rice, dosa or even idli. However, residents of the Tirunelveli region prefer to have it with rice as it is the staple diet of the region. A fine mixture of grated coconut, khus-khus, saunf, and cumin seeds gives this curry a unique texture and an aromatic flavor.
Boiled and peeled potatoes make this recipe inviting and also impart a thick texture to the gravy. This recipe is rich in proteins, calories, healthy fat and vitamins. It is also rich in amino acids which are essential for proper growth and well-being of your body.
Known for its food and tourist attractions, you can also find this mutton curry in different restaurants and hotels in Tirunelveli and surrounding regions. The typical South Indian flavor of this curry has won it many admirers in the country and abroad as well. If you are bored of eating regular mutton curry then try this recipe and surprise your family members.
Tirunelveli Mutton Kuzhambu
Ingredients for Tirunelveli Mutton Kuzhambu
- 250 gms Mutton skinless
- 1 Onion small, chopped
- 2 Potatoes boiled, peeled
- 1/2 tsp Ginger Garlic Paste
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1/2 tsp Red Chilli Powder
- 1/2 tsp Coriander Powder
- few Coriander Leaves chopped
- Salt as per taste
For the Masala:
- 1/4 Coconut grated
- 1/2 tblsp Khus-Khus (Gasa Gasa) Gasa Gasa
- 1/4 tsp Saunf
- 1/2 tsp Cumin Seeds
- 1 Cinnamon small piece
- 2 Cloves
- 1 Cardamom
- few Curry Leaves
How to make Tirunelveli Mutton Kuzhambu
- Clean and wash the mutton pieces.
- Add ginger garlic paste and turmeric powder.
- Rub well and pressure cook until tender with just enough water.
- Grind all the masala ingredients with little water and keep aside.
- Heat little oil in a pan over medium flame.
- Fry all the tempering ingredients for 30 seconds.
- Add the onions and saute until golden.
- Add the potatoes, red chilli powder, coriander powder and cook for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the cooked mutton pieces and ground masala.
- Pour enough water and bring to a boil.
- Garnish with coriander leaves.
- Serve with hot rice or as a side dish to idli or dosa.
Receive the latest recipes & kitchen tips !