This is a popular dish in Nagercoil district often served with a curry of choice. Nutritious and healthy, it is one of the famous recipes of the region.
Raw Rice – 100 gms
Black Urad Dal – 2 tblsp
Garlic – 10 cloves
Fenugreek Seeds – little
Gingelly Oil – 3 tsp
Coconut Oil – 2 to 3 drops
Cumin Seeds – 1/2 tsp
Coconut – 2 tblsp, grated
Curry Leaves – few
Salt as per taste
1. Soak the rice and keep aside.
2. Dry roast the dal for a minute.
3. Heat oil in a heavy-bottomed pan over medium flame.
4. Fry the cumin seeds, fenugreek seeds and curry leaves for 30 seconds.
5. Add garlic and stir-fry for a minute.
6. Drain the rice and add to the pan alongwith the urad dal.
7. Pour 2 cups of water (quantity of water should be 2 times that of the rice).
8. Add salt and stir well.
9. Cook until the dal and rice are done.
10. Add coconut oil and grated coconut.
11. Stir well and serve.