A popular dish in Nagercoil and Kanyakumari districts, this fish curry (meen curry) is served with hot rice.
Kilimeen (Threadfin Bream) – 250 gms, cleaned, washed, chopped
Tamarind Extract – 1 cup, thick
Drumstick – 1, chopped
Fenugreek Seeds – 1/2 tsp
Curry Leaves – few
Oil as required
Salt as per taste
1. Dry roast all the masala ingredients in a pan and grind to a fine paste, adding little water if needed.
2. Add this to the tamarind extract and mix well.
3. Heat oil in a pan over medium flame.
4. Fry the curry leaves and fenugreek seeds for 30 seconds.
5. Add the drumsticks and saute for a minute.
6. Add the tamarind extract and salt.
7. Bring to a boil.
8. Add the fish pieces and simmer for 10 minutes.
9. When the fish is cooked and tender and the kuzhambu starts to bubble, switch off the flame.
10. Serve hot with rice.