A popular and easy to make Bengali style appetizer/snack. These fish fingers are well suited for any occasion, party or can also be served as an evening snack.
White Fish Fillets – 300 gms, skinless, boneless
Eggs – 2
Fennel Seeds – 1 tsp
Cumin Seeds – 1 tsp
Mustard Seeds – 1 tsp
Nigella Seeds – 1 tsp
Fenugreek Seeds (Methi) – 1/2 tsp
Maida – 1 1/2 tblsp
Besan Flour – 1/2 tblsp
Red Chilli Powder – 1 tsp
Garlic – 3 cloves, crushed
Ginger – 1 inch piece, grated
Oil as required
Breadcrumbs – 1 to 2 cups
Coriander Leaves – handful, chopped
Salt as per taste
1. Combine the cumin seeds, fennel seeds, mustard seeds, nigella seeds and methi in a mixer jar.
2. Grind them together and transfer to a bowl.
3. Add the maida, besan, red chilli powder, garlic, coriander leaves, ginger and enough salt.
4. Mix well.
5. Beat the eggs in a bowl and add to the flour.
6. Gently whisk until combined.
7. Chop the fish fillets into small bite-sized pieces or strips.
8. Heat oil in a deep frying pan.
9. Dip the fish fillets into the batter and remove.
10. Allow any excess to drip off and dredge it in the breadcrumbs, coating it fully.
11. Gently slide them into the hot oil and fry until cooked through or crisp and golden brown.
12. Remove and drain excess oil.
13. Serve with chutney or sauce of choice.