1 cup basmati rice
2 tsp white butter
2 medium sized carrots, finely chopped
1 medium sized potato, finely chopped
1/4 cup shelled green peas
2-3 tsp american sweet corn kernels
1 tsp salt (to taste)
1 1/2 tbsp lime juice
2 tsp oil
2 tsp husked urad dal
2 tsp husked chana dal
2 dried red chillies
1 tbsp coriander seeds
1/2 tsp asfoetida powder
1/2 inch stick cinnamon
1 tbsp grated dry coconut
2 tbsp ghee
1 tsp mustard seeds
1 tsp husked urad dal
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
1 dried red chilli, halved
1 sprig curry leaves
2 tbsp ghee
2 tbsp cashew nuts
2 tbsp finely chopped coriander leaves
1. Wash rice and drain. Add butter to rice and cook. Spread on a platter to cool.
2. Heat ghee for garnish in a pan over moderate heat and fry cashew nuts till golden. Remove from pan and set aside.
3. Heat oil for spice powder in the same pan. Add remaining ingredients for spice powder and fry over low heat. Toss gently, till dals turn golden and chillies and spice are fragrant. Cool and grind to a fine powder.
4. Heat ghee for tempering in a frying pan over moderate heat. Add remaining ingredients for tempering in the order given. When mustard seeds splutter, add vegetables and saute for 1-2 minutes.
5. Pour in 1/2 – 3/4 cup water, cover pan and simmer over low heat for 5-7 minutes, stirring occasionally, till vegetables are tender.
6. Add salt, spice powder and cooked rice. Rice gently till well blended.
7. Remove from heat. Sprinkle in lime juice and toss gently to mix.
8. Garnish with fried cashew nuts and coriander leaves and serve immediately or at room temperature.