A speciality from Andhra Pradesh.
1 cup husked green gram
2 large onions, finely chopped
2 green chillies, slit lengthwise
2 tsp red chilli powder
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp salt or to taste
2 tbsp oil
1 sprig curry leaves
Ground to a smooth paste
2 green cardamoms
1 inch stick cinnamon
2 tsp coriander seeds
3 tsp poppy seeds, powdered
1 1/2 inch piece ginger, grated
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
3-4 cloves garlic (optional)
1/4 cup water
2 tbsp finely chopped coriander leaves
1. Wash dal and soak in 2 cups water for 30 minutes.
2. Heat oil for tempering in a frying pan over moderate heat. Add curry leaves, onions and green chillies and fry till onions are golden. Sprinkle in chilli powder, turmeric powder and salt. Fry for another 30 seconds.
3. Add 4 cups water and bring to boil. Drain dal and add to pan. Lower heat and simmer for 25 minutes till dal is tender, taking care it does not turn mushy.
4. Mix spice paste with 1/2 cup water and stir into dal. Simmer for 4-5 minutes, stirring occasionally till well blended.
5. Garnish with coriander leaves and serve hot with rice or roti.