Dal Tadka is a staple of Punjabi cuisine and is commonly served as a side dish to roti, naan or jeera rice. Made with lentils, this creamy and smooth dal is a popular restaurant dish and can be made easily at home.
Serve the dal on its own as a comfort food or with rice, roti or jeera rice.
- 3 cup Moong Dal
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 5 Green Chillies chopped
- 3 to 4 Garlic Cloves chopped
- 3 tsp Lime Juice
- as per taste Salt
- handful Coriander Leaves chopped
- handful Curry Leaves chopped
- 2 tsp Cumin Seeds
- 2 tsp Mustard Seeds
- 2 tbsp Ghee
- 1/4 tsp Asafoetida Powder
- Pressure cook the dal, adding 1/4 tsp turmeric powder, until 1 or 2 whistles.
- Heat ghee in a pan.
- Fry the cumin seeds and mustard seeds for 30 seconds.
- Add the asafoetida powder, green chillies and garlic.
- Fry for a minute or two.
- Now add the cooked dal and salt.
- Cook for 5 minutes.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and curry leaves.
- Add lime juice and serve hot with roti or rice.
This recipe was first published on Oct 28, 2007 and has been updated on June 29, 2020.