Cowpeas with Aubergine – Karamani Kuzhambu
1/2 cup karamani (cowpeas)
1 marble sized ball of tamarind
3-4 aubergine, sliced lengthwise
1 tsp salt (to taste)
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
2 green chillies, slit lengthwise
Ground to a paste
1 tsp cumin seeds
2 dried red chillies
4 tbsp grated fresh coconut
1-2 tbsp water
1 tsp oil
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
1 tsp husked black gram
1 sprig curry leaves
1. Wash karamani and drain. Place cowpeas in a pressure cooker with 1 cup water. Cook under pressure for 7 minutes.
2. Soak tamarind in 1 1/2 cups water for 10 minutes. Extract juice and discard pulp.
3. Combine tamarind juice, aubergines, salt and turmeric powder in a pan over high heat and bring to boil. Lower heat and simmer for 8-10 minutes, stirring occasionally, till the raw aroma of tamarind disappears and aubergines are tender.
4. Mix in cooked cowpeas, green chillies and spice paste. Simmer over low heat for 5-7 minutes, stirring occasionally, till well blended.
5. Heat oil for tempering in a small pan over moderate heat. Add remaining ingredients for tempering in the order given. When mustard seeds splutter, pour contents of pan into kuzhambu. Mix well.
Serve hot with rice.