A popular South Indian sambar that is tasty and healthy. Often given to pregnant/lactating women.
Garlic – 100 gms, peeled
Dry Red Chilli – 1, broken
Mustard Seeds – 1 tsp
Bengal Gram Dal – 1 tsp
Fenugreek Seeds – 1 tsp
Sambar Powder – 2 tsp
Oil – 3 to 4 tblsp
Tamarind Extract – 1 cup
1. Heat little oil in a pan.
2. Fry the mustard seeds, bengal gram dal and fenugreek seeds for 30 to 45 seconds.
3. Add dry red chilli and fry for another 30 seconds.
4. Add sambar powder and stir-fry for another 30 seconds.
5. Heat oil in a separate pan.
6. Add the garlic and fry for a minute.
7. Remove and keep aside.
8. Transfer the tamarind extract to a pan and place it over medium flame.
9. Add all the ingredients and salt.
10. Mix well and bring to a boil.
11. Remove and serve hot with rice.
Tip: If preferred, add 1 chopped onion and 1 chopped tomato.