A popular Awadhi dish from Lucknow, this delicious mushroom paneer masala is a simple and easy to make side dish for rotis, chapatis or naan.
Paneer – 200 gms, grated
Mushrooms – 400 gms, cleaned, washed, halved
Onions – 2, finely chopped
Tomatoes – 4 to 5, chopped
Ginger Garlic Paste – 2 tblsp
Green Chillies – 2 tsp, finely chopped
Cumin Seeds – 2 tsp
Turmeric Powder – 1/4 tsp
Red Chilli Powder – 2 tsp
Black Pepper Powder – 1 tsp
Garam Masala Powder – 1 tsp
Butter – 1/4 cup
Cashew Nuts – 3 tblsp, soaked and ground to a paste
Salt as per taste
Coriander Leaves – Handful
1. Heat butter in a pan over medium flame.
2. Add the onions, cumin seeds, green chillies, ginger garlic paste and cashew nut paste.
3. Stir and saute for a minute.
4. Add the tomatoes, mushrooms and the masala powders.
5. Mix well and cook for 3 to 4 minutes.
6. When it starts to simmer, add the paneer and salt.
7. Stir well and cook for a minute more.
8. Remove and garnish with coriander leaves.
9. Serve hot with roti, chapati, naan or pulao.