This Chettinad style Kara Chutney is best served as a side dish with idli, dosa or roti.
Onions – 4 to 6, depending on size, finely chopped
Tomatoes – 4 to 5, depending on size, finely chopped
Dry Red Chillies – 6 to 8
Tamarind – 1 lemon sized ball, seedless
Gingelly Oil – 1/4 cup
Mustard Seeds – 2 tsp
Urad Dal – 2 tsp
Curry Leaves – few
Salt as per taste
1. Combine the onions, tomatoes, red chillies, tamarind and salt.
2. Add enough water and grind to a smooth paste.
3. Heat oil in a pan over medium flame.
4. Fry the mustard seeds, curry leaves and urad dal for 30 seconds.
5. Add the ground paste and saute for 5 over low flame.
6. When the raw smell of the chutney disappears, remove from flame.
7. Serve as a side dish.