Paatwadi (or Patwadi) is a Kolhapuri savoury snack made using gram flour. Popular during Ganesh Chaturthi and other festivals, they are a great evening/teatime snack. Best served with mint chutney.
Gram Flour – 2 cups
Green Chillies – 8 to 10
Cumin Seeds – 2 tblsp
Turmeric Powder – 2 tsp
Asafoetida Powder – 1 tsp
Oil as required
Salt as per taste
Coriander Leaves – handful, chopped
Ginger Garlic Paste – 1 1/4 tblsp
1. Dry roast the cumin seeds and grind together with the green chillies to a smooth paste.
2. Heat oil in a pan over medium flame.
3. Add the asafoetida, turmeric powder, ginger garlic paste, chilli paste and stir-fry for 2 to 3 minutes.
4. Pour 2 cups of water and add salt.
5. Reduce the heat to low when the water starts to boil.
6. Add the gram flour and stir well to make a smooth paste, without any lumps.
7. Cover and cook for 10 minutes.
8. Stir well and cover again.
9. After 8 to 10 minutes, remove and transfer to a plate.
10. Spread it evenly and sprinkle coriander leaves on top.
11. Cut into desired shapes after 10 to 20 minutes.
12. Serve with mint chutney or ketchup.
image via YouTube/Madhura Recipe