A popular and easy to make chutney for dosa or idli.
Roasted Gram (Pottukadalai) – 1 cup
Dry Red Chillies – 6 to 8
Garlic – 4 cloves
Ginger – 1/2 inch piece
Mustard Seeds – 2 tsp
Urad Dal – 2 tsp
Curry Leaves – handful
Coriander Leaves – handful
Salt as per taste
Oil as required
1. Heat little oil in a pan.
2. Stir-fry the red chillies and garlic for 30 to 45 seconds.
3. Remove and combine these with roasted gram in a mixer.
4. Grind to a fine paste.
5. Fry the mustard seeds and urad dal in a pan with little oil for 30 seconds.
6. Add curry leaves and stir well.
7. Transfer this to the ground dal and add enough water.
8. Mix well and garnish with coriander leaves.
9. Serve as a side dish with dosa or idli.
Tip: Adjust the water quantity depending on the chutney thickness that you want.