Idlis are a popular and staple South Indian breakfast dish served with idli, sambar and chutney. There are quite a few variations of the traditional Idlis with new healthy varieties coming up in recent years. This variation uses Vazhaithandu (Banana stem). Vazhaithandu is rich in fibre, potassium and vitamin b6. Not only it helps in weight loss, it also helps in production of insulin, haemoglobin and prevent high blood pressure.
Idli Batter – 1 cup
Vazhaithandu (Banana Stem/Banana Stalk) – 1/4 cup, finely chopped
Salt as per taste
Ghee – 1/2 tsp
Mustard Seeds – little
Urad Dal – little
Coriander Leaves – few
Curry Leaves – few
Green Chilli – 1, finely chopped
Asafoetida Powder – little
1. Heat ghee in a pan over medium flame.
2. Fry the mustard seeds, urad dal, coriander leaves, curry leaves, asafoetida powder and green chillies for 30 seconds.
3. Add the chopped vazhathandu and salt.
4. Cook for a minute and remove from flame.
5. Add this to the idli batter and mix well.
6. Pour the batter into idli plates and steam cook until done.
7. Serve hot.
Receive the latest recipes & kitchen tips !