Cabbage Kootu is a delicious vegetarian recipe from Tamil Nadu. This variation is from the Chettinad cuisine.
Cabbage – 1 cup, chopped
Onion – 1, big, chopped
Garlic – 2 cloves, crushed
Tomato – 1, finely chopped
Red Chilli Powder – 1 tsp
Turmeric Powder – a pinch
Salt as per taste
Coconut – 2 tblsp, grated
Gasagasa – 1/2 tsp
Oil – 3 tsp
Saunf – 1 tsp
Curry Leaves – few
1. Grind the coconut and gasagasa with little water to a thick paste.
2. Heat oil in a pan.
3. Fry the saunf and curry leaves for 30 seconds.
4. Add the onions, garlic and tomatoes.
5. Saute for a minute or until onions turn golden.
6. Add the cabbage and stir well.
7. Add red chilli powder, turmeric powder and salt.
8. Pour 1/4 cup of water and cover with a lid.
9. Cook for 5 minutes or until cabbage is tender and cooked.
10. Add the ground masala and mix well.
11. Simmer for another minute or two.
12. Remove from flame.
13. Serve hot with rice.