Cabbage Rice is a quick and delicious dish loaded with good stuff. A very simple dish to make, this is a perfect way to use any leftover rice or get the kids to eat cabbage.
The dish comes in handy when you are tired and want to make something fast that tastes good and is also on the healthy side.
Ideal for office lunch, school lunch or for a weekday dinner.
- 200 g Rice cooked
- 150 g Cabbage sliced or chopped
- 1 Onion small, finely chopped or sliced
- 1 Carrot small, finely chopped (optional)
- 2 Green Chillies small, slit
- few Curry Leaves
- 1/2 to 1 tsp Lemon Juice
- few Coriander Leaves
- as per taste Salt
- a pinch Turmeric Powder
- 1 1/2 tsp Oil
- 1/4 tsp Mustard Seeds
- 1 Dry Red Chilli broken
- 1 to 2 tsp Bengal Gram Dal
- 1 to 2 tsp Urad Dal
- 3 tsp Peanuts
- few Cashew Nuts broken (optional)
- Heat oil in a pan over medium flame.
- Add the tempering ingredients and fry for 30 to 40 seconds.
- Add curry leaves, green chillies and onions.
- Saute for a minute or until onions turn light golden.
- Add carrots (if using) and saute for another minute.
- Add the cabbage and turmeric powder.
- Cook for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the cooked rice and salt.
- Reduce flame and stir well to mix.
- After 45 to 60 seconds, add coriander leaves and curry leaves.
- Switch off the flame and add lemon juice.
- Mix well and remove.
- Serve with papad or appalam.