Cabbage Thoran is a popular recipe from the southern part of India, specifically from the state of Kerala. It is a dish often prepared in homes, especially during festivals or special occasions. The word “thoran” means a dry vegetable stir-fry in Malayalam, the local language of Kerala.
Cabbage Thoran is a straightforward dish to make and requires very few ingredients. All you need is fresh cabbage, coconut, spices, and a few other things in your kitchen. The best part is that you can easily customize the recipe to suit your taste preferences. If you like your food to be spicy, you can add more chillies. If you prefer a milder taste, you can skip the chillies altogether.
One thing that makes Cabbage Thoran so healthy is that it is cooked with very little oil. Instead, it is made with freshly grated coconut, which gives the dish a delicious flavour and aroma. Coconut is a popular ingredient in Indian cooking known for its health benefits. It is high in fibre, vitamins, and minerals and has been shown to improve heart health and aid digestion.
Cabbage Thoran is a nutritious and delicious dish for any occasion. So why try it and experience the taste of India in your home?
- 250 g Cabbage finely chopped
- 100 g Onions finely chopped
- 2 tsp Coconut Oil
- 1 cup Coconut grated
- 1/2 tsp Mustard Seeds
- 1 tsp Urad Dal
- 3 to 4 Dry Red Chillies depending on size
- 1/4 tsp Cumin Seeds
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1/4 tsp Red Chilli Powder
- as per taste Salt
- few Curry Leaves
- Heat oil in a pan over medium flame.
- Fry the mustard seeds and urad dal for 20 seconds.
- Add the cumin seeds and fry for another 10 seconds.
- Add the onions and saute until translucent.
- Add the curry leaves, red chilli powder, turmeric powder, red chillies and stir well.
- Add the chopped cabbage and cook for 5 minutes on low flame or until cooked.
- If desired, cover the pan with a lid.
- Add the grated coconut and mix well.
- Cook for a minute or two or until all moisture has evaporated.
- Remove from flame and serve hot.