A simple and tasty sundal snack made on the auspicious occasion of Navratri and offered as a prasadam to the deities and given as snack to guests.
Karuppu Kondai Kadalai (Black Chickpeas/Black Chana) – 250 gms
Bengal Gram Dal – 4 to 5 tsp
Salt as per taste
Dry Red Chillies – 2
Sesame Seeds – 1/2 tsp
Coriander Powder – 1/2 tsp
Coconut – 1/4 cup, grated
Mustard Seeds – 1/2 tsp
Urad Dal – 1/2 tsp
Curry Leaves – few
Asafoetida – little
Oil as required
1. Soak the kondakadalai for 8 hours or overnight.
2. Drain well and add to a pressure cooker with enough water.
3. Add little salt and pressure cook until 2 whistles.
4. Soak the bengal gram dal and sesame seeds for 30 to 60 minutes.
5. Drain and combine with coconut and dry red chillies.
6. Add enouugh water and grind to a smooth paste.
7. Add this to the cooked chickpeas and mix well.
8. Heat oil in a pan.
9. Fry the tempering ingredients for 30 seconds.
10. Add the chickpeas and mix well.
11. Cook for a minute.
12. Remove and serve.