Toor Dal – 250 gms, boiled
Brinjals – 500 gms, tender, stems removed
Onions – 3, chopped
Tomatoes – 3, chopped
Tamarind Extract – 1/2 cup
Sambar Powder – 1 tsp
For the stuffing:
Sambar Powder – 1 tblsp
Garlic Paste – 1 tblsp
Rice Flour – 1 tblsp
Oil as required
Salt as per taste
Turmeric Powder – little
1. Cut the brinjals lengthwise till 3/4ths, but still intact at the bottom.
2. Mix all the stuffing ingredients in a bowl.
3. Stuff the brinjals with this mixture.
4. Heat oil in a pan.
5. Pan fry the stuffed brinjals for 2 to 3 minutes.
6. Heat little oil in another pan.
7. Add the tempering ingredients and fry for 30 seconds.
8. Add onions, tomatoes, salt, tamarind extract, sambar powder and stir.
9. Bring to a boil and add the stuffed brinjals.
10. After 2 minutes add the boiled dal and bring to a boil again.
11. Remove and serve hot with rice.