Punjabi Chana Masala (or Punjabi Chole Masala) is a popular North Indian side dish for rotis, parathas, naan or rice items. Simple and easy to make, this is great for any meal and any occasion.
White Chickpeas – 125 gms
Onions – 1 cup, finely chopped
Tomatoes – 1 cup, finely chopped
Red Chilli Powder – 1 tsp
Cumin Powder – 1/2 tsp
Chana Masala Powder – 1 tsp (available readymade)
Black Salt – 1/4 tsp
Pomegranate Seed (Anardana) Powder – 1/2 tsp (available readymade)
Garam Masala Powder – 1 tsp
Ginger – 1 tsp, finely sliced
Red Chillies – 2, small
Ginger Garlic Paste – 1 1/2 tsp
Salt as per taste
Oil as required
Coriander Leaves – few, to garnish
Ghee – little
1. Soak the chickpeas for 8 hours or overnight.
2. Pressure cook the chickpeas until 1 or 2 whistles.
3. Heat oil in a pan over medium flame.
4. Add the ginger garlic paste, onions and saute until onions turn golden.
5. Add the tomatoes, red chilli powder, chana masala powder, cumin powder salt and stir well.
6. Add the cooked chickpeas and cook for a minute.
7. If required, add some water.
8. Add the black salt, garam masala powder, anardhana powder and mix well.
9. Heat ghee in an another pan.
10. Fry the ginger, red chillies for a minute and add to the chana masala.
11. Garnish with coriander leaves.