Rice – 2 cups
Milk – 10 cups
Jackfruit – 1 1/2 cups, finely chopped
Ghee – 4 to 5 tblsp
Cardamom Powder – 1 tsp
Sugar – 1 1/2 cups
Yellow Food Colour – 1/4 tsp (adjust as required)
Saffron Strands – 1/4 tsp, soaked in 1 tblsp warm milk
Cashewnuts – few, fried
Raisins – few, fried
1. Heat 2 cups of water in a large, broad vessel over medium flame.
2. Pour the milk and bring to a boil.
3. Add the rice and cook till soft.
4. In a small frying pan, heat 2 tsp ghee and fry the jack fruit pieces.
5. Add the jackfruit, sugar, cardamom powder and sugar to the rice.
6. Mix well and reduce flame.
7. Cook till the pongal is thick and creamy.
8. Remove the pongal from flame and mix the yellow food colour.
9. Garnish with cashewnuts and raisins.
10. Just before serving, pour a little ghee on top and serve hot.
Note: image is for illustration purposes only and not that of the actual recipe.