To make jackfruit preserve
1. 4 kg ripe jackfruit, mashed in a mixer
2. 1 kg jaggery
3. 4 cups water
4. 20 gms ghee
5. 1 tsp cardamom powder
1. Dissolve jaggery in water. Strain into a heavybottomed vessel and cook over a low flame to make into a thick syrup. Add the mashed jackfruit into the jaggery syrup. Stir well. As it thickens, keep adding ghee, a litle at a time. Mix well, remove from fire and add cardamom powder.
1. 2 cups jackfruit preserve
2. 2Â¼ cups water
3. 2 tsp refined vegetable oil
4. Salt to taste
5. 2 cups fine rice flour
6. Â¼ cup sugar
7. 1 cup coconut, grated
8. Banana leaves cut into 10cm x 10cm sections
1. Boil 2 cups water with oil and salt. Lower the flame and gradually stir in the flour.
2. Remove from fire, and knead well into a dough without any lumps. Divide the dough into eight portions.
3. Dissolve sugar in Â¼ cup water. Add grated coconut and cook over a low flame till the water is absorbed.
4. Remove from fire and add the jackfruit preserve. Mix well. Divide the mixture into 8 portions.
5. Clean and wipe dry banana leaves.
6. Spread a portion of the dough evenly on a leaf, with fingers. It should be spread thin.
7. Spread a portion of the jackfruit preserve evenly over one half of the dough. Fold over the other half. Press and seal the sides. Repeat till the dough and filling are used up.
8. Steam the elayappams for 30 minutes.
Nice Recipe! I used brown sugar instead of jaggery and it worked just as fine
simple and clear recipie, wonderful outcome!!