- Quails – 8
- Pancetta – 4 slices
- Sage Leaves – 16
- Salt as per taste
- Ground Black Pepper
- Olive Oil
- Coral Lettuce – 1
- Oak Leaf or Baby Cos Lettuce – 1
- Artichokes – 8, marinated, cut into quarters
- Tapenade – 2 tblsp
- Extra-Virgin Olive Oil – 4 tblsp
- Lemon Wedges for garnish
- Rinse, drain and dry the quails.
- Cut along the backbone and press out flat.
- For each quail, use your fingers to lift the skin off the breast.
- Push half a slice of pancetta and 2 sage leaves under the skin of each bird.
- Season the quails with salt and pepper.
- Brush generously with oil.
- Cook the quails on a medium-hot barbecue grill, turning once or twice, for about 8 minutes or until crisped on the surface but breast meat is still pink.
- Remove and let rest for a few minutes, before cutting each quail into four pieces.
- Spread lettuce and oak leaf over a large platter.
- Arrange the quails and artichokes on top.
- In a small bowl, whisk the tapenade with the extra-virgin olive oil.
- Spoon over the salad.
- Decorate the platter with lemon wedges.
Receive the latest recipes & kitchen tips !