Eggplant (Brinjals) 2, medium, sliced
Spaghetti – 350 gms
Oil – 4 tblsp
Onion – 1, finely chopped
Garlic – 1 clove, crushed
Green Capsicum – 1, finely chopped
Tomatoes – 2, blanched, peeled, chopped
Tomato Puree – 2 tblsp
Salt – 1 tsp
Cinnamon – 1/2 tsp
Red Chilli Powder – 1/2 tsp
Cheese – 225 gms, grated
1. Sprinkle salt on the eggplant slices and keep aside for 30 minutes.
2. Rinse under cold water and dry.
3. Heat 1/2 a pan of lightly salted water to a boil.
4. Add the pasta and boil for a few minutes.
5. Drain and rinse under warm water. Keep aside.
6. Heat oil in a large pan.
7. Fry the onions until soft.
8. Add the garlic and continue to fry until onion is golden.
9. Add the eggplant slices and fry for a few minutes until lightly coloured all over.
10. Add a little more oil if required.
11. Add the capsicum, tomatoes, tomato puree, salt, cinnamon and red chilli powder.
12. Reduce heat and simmer until eggplants are soft.
13. If the mixture is very dry add a little water and turn gently.
14. Butter a large baking dish and arrange half of the pasta at the bottom.
15. Arrange the eggplant mixture over the pasta and then arrange the remaining pasta evenly over the filling.
16. Sprinkle grated cheese over the top.
17. Place in the centre of a preheated oven to 190C/375F for about 30 minutes or until the surface is golden.
18. Remove, cut into squares or rectangles and serve warm.