Cod Fillets – 600 gms, skinned and cut into bite-sized chunks
Garlic – 1 clove, crushed
Red Chillis – 2, deseeded and sliced
Whole Black Peppercorns – 2 tsp
Chives – 1 tblsp
Coriander Leaves – 1 tblsp + 1 tblsp for garnish
Egg White – 1
Cornflour – 1 tblsp
Tamari Sauce – 1 tblsp
Sesame Oil – 1 tsp
Cornflour – 2 tsp mixed with 3 tblsp rice wine vinegar
For Sweet and Sour Sauce:
Vegetable Stock – 175 ml
Tomato Ketchup – 75 ml
Soft Brown Sugar – 1 tblsp
Root Ginger – 1 slice, peeled and finely chopped
Hot Pepper Sauce – 1/2 tsp
1. Blend the garlic, peppercorns, chillies, chives and coriander in a mixer.
2. Add the fish fillets and egg white.
3. Blend to a smooth paste.
4. Add the cornflour, tamari sauce and sesame oil.
5. Blend for 1 more minute.
6. Put a large pan of water over medium heat and allow it to boil.
7. Shape the fish mixture into 1 to 1 1/2 inche balls.
8. Drop the fish balls into the boiling water, few at a time, then bring the water back to the boil.
9. Simmer for about 5 minutes.
10. Remove the fish balls with a slotted spoon and set aside.
11. To make the sweet and sour sauce, put the stock, ketchup, sugar, ginger and hot pepper sauce in a small pan.
12. Bring to a boil and then add the cornflour paste to thicken.
13. Reduce the heat and simmer for a minute.
14. Put the fish balls on a shallow serving dish.
15. Garnish with coriander leaves.
16. Pour the sauce into a small bowl and serve on the side.