Imli Macchi Tikka is a delightful fusion of flavours that will leave you craving more. This dish marries the subtle sweetness of jaggery with the tangy kick of tamarind, all wrapped around tender pieces of boneless fish. It’s a unique combination that makes for a memorable meal.
The fish is first marinated in a simple mixture of salt, white pepper, and vinegar, allowing the flavours to infuse into the flesh. Meanwhile, tamarind and jaggery are soaked, and their extracted pulp forms the heart of the marinade. This pulp combines with hung curd and a selection of spices, including red chilli powder, cumin powder, garam masala, and asafoetida.
Once the fish is coated in this vibrant marinade, it’s skewered and grilled to perfection. The result is a dish that’s both savoury and slightly sweet, with a hint of spice. The tender fish, kissed by the flames, has a delightful smokiness that takes it to the next level.
Imli Macchi Tikka pairs perfectly with mint chutney and can be served as an appetizer or a main course. It’s a fantastic choice for a special dinner or a gathering with friends and family.
If you enjoy Imli Macchi Tikka, consider exploring other tamarind-based dishes like Tamarind Chicken or Tamarind Shrimp for a taste of different cuisines with a familiar, tangy twist.
Imli Macchi Tikka
- 350 grams Boneless Fish (cut into 3-inch pieces)
- Oil for basting
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon White Pepper Powder
- 2 teaspoons White Vinegar
For the Marinade:
- 3 1/2 tablespoons Tamarind
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Jaggery
- 1/2 cup Hung Curd (whisked)
- 1/2 teaspoon Red Chilli Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Cumin Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Garam Masala Powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Asafoetida Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- Begin by washing and thoroughly cleaning the fish.
- In a bowl, mix the salt, white pepper powder, and vinegar. Rub this mixture into the fish pieces and let them marinate for 30 to 45 minutes.
- While the fish is marinating, soak the tamarind and jaggery in 1 cup of warm water for 30 minutes. Extract the pulp and set it aside.
- In a separate bowl, combine the whisked curd, tamarind pulp, and the remaining ingredients for the marinade. Mix thoroughly.
- Drain the marinated fish and add it to the bowl with the marinade. Rub the marinade into the fish and let it sit for an additional hour.
- Skewer the fish and grill in an oven at 180°C for 8 to 10 minutes.
- Remove the skewers, baste the fish with oil, and roast again for 3 minutes.
- Remove from the skewers and serve hot with mint chutney.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ):
Can I use other types of fish for Imli Macchi Tikka?
Certainly! While the recipe suggests boneless fish, you can use various types such as tilapia, salmon, or cod, depending on your preference. Just ensure they are boneless for ease of eating.
Can I grill this outdoors instead of using an oven?
Absolutely! You can make Imli Macchi Tikka on an outdoor grill for that smoky, barbecue flavor. Just preheat your grill to medium-high heat and follow the same instructions for grilling.
Can I make Imli Macchi Tikka in advance for a party?
Imli Macchi Tikka can be prepared in advance and stored in the refrigerator. When you’re ready to serve, reheat it in the oven or on the grill to retain its delicious flavors.
What can I serve with Imli Macchi Tikka?
Imli Macchi Tikka pairs wonderfully with mint chutney, but you can also serve it with a side of naan or rice for a more substantial meal. A fresh salad on the side adds a refreshing contrast to the flavors.
Is this dish suitable for vegetarians or vegans?
Unfortunately, this recipe is not suitable for vegetarians or vegans as it features boneless fish as the main ingredient. However, you can explore various vegetarian and vegan tikka recipes that use vegetables or plant-based proteins as alternatives.
Note: image is for illustration purposes only and not that of the actual recipe.