Mochai Sundal is one of the sundal varieties made during Navratri.
Unlike other sundal varieties, this is not a regular sundal that is made often. Rich in protein, it is highly nutritious and is made during as an offering to the goddess during navratri festival and served as a snack to guests.
It is also a delicious and healthy evening snack for children.
In some places, chopped onions are also added. If you prefer, you can add it or you can omit it from the recipe.
Mochai Sundal Recipe
Ingredients for Mochai Sundal
- 4 cup Butter Beans (Mochai)
- 2 tsp Mustard Seeds
- 1/3 cup Oil
- few Curry Leaves
- 1/2 Coconut grated
- 10 Red Chillies split into two
- as per taste Salt
- a pinch Asafoetida
How to make Mochai Sundal
- Wash the beans. Clean and soak overnight.
- Next day, wash again 4-5 times.
- Heat a pan with water over modeate heat.
- Add the drained beans. Cover and cook for 30 minutes.
- Once cooked, strain the extra water and keep a little with the beans.
- Add salt.
- Stir well and cook till the salt mixes well.
- Remove and empty the contents to a strainer.
- Heat the oil on a heavy bottomed pan over moderate heat.
- Fry the mustard seeds and red chillies.
- Add cooked beans.
- Make a thick solution of asafoetida with water.
- Pour it over the cooked beans.
- Garnish with curry leaves and grated coconut.
- Serve as a snack to guests coming to Navratri golu.
Image Credit: Radhika Ramesh