Kai Murukku is a popular and traditional South Indian snack made during festivals and special occasions.
Rice Flour – 2 cups
Urad Dal – 1/2 cup, dry roasted and ground
Black Pepper Powder – 1/4 tsp
Cumin Powder – 1/4 tsp
Ghee – 100 gms
Salt as per taste
Oil – 500 ml
1. Combine the rice flour, dal flour, salt, cumin powder and pepper powder in a bowl.
2. Add ghee and mix well.
3. Add enough water and knead well to a thick, pliable dough.
4. Keep a bottle cap in the middle of a wet, clean, white cloth.
5. Take some dough and form twisted spirals around the bottle cap.
6. Heat oil in a deep frying pan over medium flame.
7. Take out each murukku carefully and fry them till light golden brown.
8. Remove and drain excess oil.
9. Store them in a dry airtight jar.
10. Serve as a snack or as a side dish.
image credit: Grand Sweets
Receive the latest recipes & kitchen tips !