Fish – 1, whole (sea bass or perch)
Salt – 1/2 tsp
Oil – 1/4 cup
Ginger – 2, thinly sliced
Scallions – 4, cut into 2 inch diagonal slices including green ends
Bamboo Shoots – 1/2 can, cut into shreds
Dry Sherry – 2 tbsp
Soy Sauce – 5 tbsp
Fish Stock – 3/4 cup
1. Clean the fish by rinsing it in very cold water.
2. Leaving the head and tail intact, remove the scales completely.
3. Dry the fish well and make 3 diagonal slashes along each side of the fish.
4. Rub the salt into the sides and cavity of the fish and keep aside.
5. Heat the oil in a large skillet (large enough to hold the whole fish).
6. Add the ginger and fry for a few seconds.
7. Add the fish carefully into the oil.
8. Lower heat to medium and brown both sides of the fish.
9. Drain off the excess oil on absorbent paper.
10. Add the scallions, bamboo shoots, sherry, along with the soy sauce and fish stock.
11. Cover and cook gently for 4 to 5 minutes.
12. Remove the cover and on high heat keep basting the fish with the liquid till about half a cup of liquid left behind.
13. Serve hot on a heated platter.