Indian cottage cheese is commonly called Paneer. It is very high in nutritional value. Its so easy to make and takes hardly half an hour.
Milk – 1 litre
Ripe Lemon’s Juice – 1
1. Boil the milk in a pan stirring continuously.
2. After a few minutes when the milk starts boiling, add the lemon’s juice continuing to stir the milk.
3. The milk starts curdling and the curds move to the top of the pan and the watery whey moves to the bottom of the pan.
4. Switch off the cooking fire.
5. Wait for around 15 minutes so that the curds and whey separate completely.
6. Using the muslin cloth filter the curds. Do not throw away the whey water.
7. Wring it tight further to remove even the minimal whey in the curds.
8. Put a knot on the muslin cloth capturing the curds inside and hang it for a few minutes so that remaining whey water drips off from the muslin cloth.
9. Refrigerate it for 3 hours so that the curds solidify further.
10. The refrigerated curds, called Paneer is now ready to use.
The whey water is also rich nutritionally and can be used for cooking like for instance kneading chapathi dough and some such use.