Matar paneer is a North Indian dish that consists of green peas and paneer. The dish is typically prepared in a tomato gravy and garnished with cream.
In some places, potatoes are also added. The peas are cooked in a thick sauce made from tomatoes, ginger, garlic, onion, green chili peppers and garam masala.
Matar Paneer is best served as a side dish with rice, roti or naan.
- 400 g Paneer cubed
- 200 g Green Peas boiled
- 2 Onion - 2 finely chopped
- 8 Tomatoes - 8 chopped
- 2 tbsp Ginger Garlic Paste
- 2 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1/2 tsp Red Chilli Powder
- 2 tsp Coriander Powder
- 1 tsp Cumin Powder
- 1 tsp Black Pepper Powder
- tsp Garam Masala Powder
- 1 tbsp Kasoori Methi
- 5 to 6 tbsp Fresh Cream
- 200 ml Water
- as per taste Salt
- 4 tbsp Oil
- 10 to 15 Cashew Nuts soaked in water
- handful Coriander Leaves
- Grind the cashew nuts to a fine paste.
- Heat oil in a pan over medium flame.
- Add the onions and saute until lightly browned.
- Add the ginger garlic paste and stir well.
- Simmer for 2 minutes.
- Add the turmeric powder, red chilli powder, coriander powder, cumin powder, black pepper power, kasoori methi and garam masala powder.
- Keep stirring for a minute or two.
- Add the chopped tomatoes.
- Cook for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Now add the cream and water.
- Mix well and cook for 15 minutes on low-medium flame.
- Add the cashew nut paste and stir from time to time.
- Add the paneer cubes and green peas.
- Cook for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Switch off the flame.
- Garnish with coriander leaves.
- Serve hot with pulao, roti or naans.