Okra (Bhindi) – 800 gms, washed, dried, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
Vegetable oil for deep-frying
Cashew Nuts – 1 tbsp
Coconut – 1/3 cup, grated
Coconut milk – 1/4 cup
Cumin Seeds – 1/2 tsp
Mustard Seeds – 1 tsp
Split Black Grams – 4 tsp
Dry Red Chillies – 3
Curry Leaves -10
Onions – 1/2 cup, chopped
Tomatoes – 250 gms, chopped
Red Chilli Powder – 1/2 tsp
Turmeric Powder – 1/2 tsp
Coriander Powder – 1 tbsp
Salt to taste
Yoghurt – 1/2 cup
1. Heat the oil in a kadai.
2. Deep fry the okra on medium heat for about 5 to 6 minutes or till crisp.
3. Remove and drain the excess oil on absorbent kitchen towels, reserve the oil.
4. Blend the cashew nuts and coconut milk in a blender.
5. Add the coconut milk to make a fine paste. Keep aside.
6. Heat 7 tbsp of the reserved oil, add the cumin seeds, mustard seeds, black gram, dry red chillies and curry leaves.
7. Saute over medium heat till the seeds begin to crackle.
8. Add the onions, saute till golden brown.
9. Stir in the tomatoes, then add the red chilli powder, turmeric powder, coriander powder and salt. 10. Keep stirring till the oil surfaces.
11. Reduce the flame.
12. Add the coconut paste and stir again for 2 minutes.
13. Remove from the fire and mix in the yoghurt.
14. Pour in the water.
15. Return to heat and bring the mixture to the boil.
16. Reduce the flame and simmer.
17. Add the deep-fried okra and cook till the gravy seeps in and the mixture is completely dry.
18. Serve hot.