Bengali Murgir Jhol is a delicious and common dish in Bengali households. A simple and light dish often made during sunday lunch, it is typically served with steamed rice, roti, naans or parathas. A versatile chicken dish, this Bengali chicken curry is also good for a weeknight dinner.
Bengali Murgir Jhol (Bengali Chicken Curry)
Ingredients for Bengali Murgir Jhol (Bengali Chicken Curry)
- 500 g Chicken chopped into bite sized pieces
- 1 Onion finely sliced
- 2 Potato chopped
- 2 tsp Ginger Garlic Paste
- 2 to 3 tblsp Plain Yogurt
- 2 tsp Tomato Ketchup
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1/2 tsp Red Chilli Powder
- 1/4 tsp Garam Masala Powder
- 1/2 tsp Coriander Powder
- 2 tsp Mustard Seeds
- 2 tblsp Sunflower Oil
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 2 Cloves
- a small piece Cinnamon broken
- 1 Dry Red Chilli
- handful Coriander Leaves chopped
- Salt as per taste
- 1/2 cup Cauliflower chopped
- 2 Tomatoes small, chopped
How to make Bengali Murgir Jhol (Bengali Chicken Curry)
- Combine the yogurt, mustard oil, a pinch of salt and 1/4 tsp of turmeric powder in a bowl.
- Mix well.
- Add the chicken pieces and rub gently.
- Keep aside for 1 to 2 hours.
- Heat oil in a heavy-bottomed pan over medium flame.
- Fry the cloves, bay leaves, cinnamon and red chillies for 10 to 15 seconds.
- Add the onions and potatoes. Saute until onions turn golden.
- Add the ginger garlic paste and mix well.
- Cook for a minute.
- Add the turmeric powder, coriander powder, red chilli powder and little water.
- Mix again and add the tomato ketchup.
- Add the marinated chicken pieces and stir well.
- Cook for 5 minutes.
- Pour 1 cup of water.
- Add sugar and little salt.
- Stir once and cover with a lid.
- Simmer for 10 minutes.
- Stir well and cook for another 2-3 minutes or until the chicken is cooked.
- Add the garam masala powder and stir gently.
- Garnish with coriander leaves.
- Remove from flame and serve with rice or rotis.
Receive the latest recipes & kitchen tips !