Turkey biryani is a delicious Middle Eastern dish that can be prepared in 30 minutes. It can be served as side dish or main course for lunch or dinner.
Biryani is a popular dish for any occasion. While chicken biryani and mutton biryani are the most popular and commonly available biryanis, Turkey meat is also becoming popular because of its inexpensive cost and taste. Turkey meat is called as vaan kozhi or vaankozhi in Tamil and is a hugely popular biryani variety.
This dish is commonly cooked on Christmas eve because it is thought to bring good luck.
Turkey Biryani Recipe
Ingredients for Turkey Biryani
- 250 to 300 g Turkey Meat chopped
- 2 to 3 Onions chopped
- 2 to 3 Tomatoes chopped
- 1/4 cup Yogurt - 1/4 cup
- 2 1/4 tbsp Oil
- 1 tbsp Ghee
- 5 to 6 Green Chillies
- 1 tsp Red Chilli Powder
- 1 1/2 cup Basmati Rice (or any long grain rice)
- 2 1/2 tbsp Butter
- 1/2 tsp Garam Masala Powder
- 1 tbsp Ginger Garlic Paste
- 1 tsp Coriander Powder
- small handful Coriander Leaves
- small handful Mint Leaves
- as per taste Salt
- few Cardamoms
- few Cloves
- a small piece Cinnamon
How to make Turkey Biryani
- Mix the yogurt, red chilli powder, coriander powder, garam masala powder and salt.
- Add the turkey pieces and mix until evenly coated.
- Keep aside for 6 to 8 hours or overnight.
- Heat 2 tblsp oil in a pan over medium flame.
- Add the ginger garlic paste and fry for 45 seconds.
- Add the onions and green chillies.
- Saute until onions are transparent.
- Add the tomatoes and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add coriander leaves, mint leaves and remove from flame.
- Cool and grind to a smooth paste.
- Heat ghee and 2 tsp oil in a pressure pan.
- Add cardamom, cloves and cinnamon.
- Fry for a minute.
- Add the ground paste, salt and turkey with the marinade.
- Stir well and cook for 10 to 15 minutes or until the meat is tender.
- Add the basmati rice and pour enough water.
- Cover with a lid and pressure cook until 2 whistles.
- Remove and transfer to a serving dish.
- Garnish with fried onions and serve hot with curd raita.