Granulated Sugar – 1 1/2 cups, divided
Sifted Cake Flour – 3/4 cup
Cocoa – 1/4 cup
Salt – 1/4 tsp
Egg Whites – 12
Cream of Tartar – 1 1/2 tsp
Vanilla – 1 1/2 tsp
Powdered Sugar for Garnish (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 375F.
2. Sift together 3/4 cup of the granulated sugar with the flour, cocoa and salt 2 times. Set aside.
3. Beat egg whites in large bowl at medium speed with electric mixer until foamy.
4. Add cream of tartar.
5. Beat at high speed until soft peaks form.
6. Gradually add the remaining 3/4 cup granulated sugar, 2 tblsp at a time, beating until stiff peaks form.
7. Blend in vanilla.
8. Sift about 1/4th of the cocoa mixture over egg white mixture. Fold in.
9. Repeat with the remaining cocoa mixture.
10. Pour into ungreased 10 inch tube pan.
11. Bake 35-40 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched with finger.
12. Invert pan and allow cake to cool completely before removing from pan.
13. Turn cake onto cake plate.
14. Dust lightly with powdered sugar just before serving, if desired.
15. Garnish as desired.