Plantains – 1/2 kg, not too mature
Refined Vegetable Oil – for frying
Jaggery – 1/4 kg
Cumin Powder – 1/2 tsp
Dried Ginger Powder – 1/2 tsp
Rice Flour – 2 tsp
Sugar – 1 tsp
1. Pare the bananas, wash and dry well.
2. Slice into thin, round sections of even thickness.
3. Deep fry the slices in hot oil till crisp.
4. Sprinkle a little salt water in the oil.
5. Stir again so that the salt is evenly absorbed by the chops.
6. When the spluttering subsides, remove the chips from the oil, place in a strainer and let the oil drain away.
7. Dissolve the jaggery in water.
8. Strain and heat to make a syrup of one-thread consistency.
9. Lower the flame and stir the banana chips into the syrup.
10. Mix well to coat the chips uniformly with the syrup.
11. Sprinkle the cumin and dried ginger powders.
12. Stir well, taking care not to break the chips.
13. Remove from fire and sprinkle over with a mixture of rice flour and sugar.
14. Stir till separated and dry.
15. Cool and store in airtight containers.
Tip: Use only mature but unripe bananas to make the chips.
Receive the latest recipes & kitchen tips !