Masoor Dal – 1 cup, soaked in water for 1 hour
Vegetable Oil – 3 tblsp
Onion – 2 medium, finely sliced
Coconut Milk – 1 1/2 cups (made from 1/2 grated fresh coconut)
Salt – 1 1/2 tsp
Grind to a paste:
Dried Red Kashmiri Chillies – 3
Garlic – 4 cloves
Cumin Seeds – 1 tsp
Mix Together in a Bowl:
Vinegar – 1 tblsp
Worcestershire Sauce – 1 tblsp
Sugar – 3/4 tblsp
1. In a pan, heat oil and fry onion in it till golden brown. Drain excess oil.
2. Add masala paste and blend well, stirring gently.
3. Cook for 3 minutes, adding 1 tsp water at a time if the masala sticks to the bottom of the pan.
4. Add 2 tblsp water and simmer for 1 minute. Then add dal and blend well.
5. Add salt and 2 1/2 cups of water and simmer, covered, till dal is three quarter cooked.
6. Add coconut milk and continue simmering till dal is well cooked and slightly thickened but still moist.
7. Mash dal through a strainer into another pan then add mixture of vinegar, sugar and worcestershire sauce and bring to the boil once before serving.
8. Sprinkle 2 tsp finely sliced fried onion and 2 tsp melted butter over the dal in the serving dish for added flavour.
Receive the latest recipes & kitchen tips !