A healthy breakfast dish from Southern Karnataka.
Ragi Flour – 2 cups
Onions – 1, medium, finely chopped
Water – 2 1/2 cups (adjust as required)
Oil as required
Salt as per taste
Green Chillies – 3, finely chopped
Sesame Seed and Peanut Powder – 2 tblsp (dry roast 2 tblsp white sesame seeds and 2 tblsp raw peanuts. Grind to a coarse powder)
Red Chilli Powder – 1/2 tsp
Coconut – 1 cup, grated
1. Combine the ragi flour, onions, salt, green chillies, sesame peanut powder and red chilli powder in a bow.
2. Add the grated coconut and mix well.
3. Mix to a thick dough, adding little water if necessary.
4. Make medium sized balls of the dough and roll them into rotis. You can also place them on a greased plastic sheet and flatten using your palm.
5. Heat a nonstick tawa over medium flame.
6. Cook the prepared rotis on both sides, adding oil around the edges.
6. Serve hot with onion chutney or tomato chutney.