Potatoes – 2
Black Eyed Beans – 1 1/4 cups, soaked overnight and drained
Baking Soda – 1/4 tsp
Five Spice Powder – 1 tsp
Asafoetida – 1/4 tsp
Onions – 2, finely chopped
Fresh Root Ginger – 1 inch piece, crushed
Fresh Mint Leaves – few
Water – 2 cups
Vegetable Oil – 4 tblsp
Ground Cumin – 1/2 tsp
Ground Coriander – 1/2 tsp
Ground Turmeric – 1/2 tsp
Chilli Powder – 1/2 tsp
Tamarind Juice – 5 tblsp
Fresh Coriander – 4 cups, chopped
Tomatoes – 2, firm, chopped
Salt as required
1. Cut the potatoes into cubes and boil in lightly salted water until tender.
2. Place the drained black eyed beans in a heavy pan and add the baking soda, five spice powder and asafoetida.
3. Add the chopped onions, crushed root ginger, mint leaves and the measured water.
4. Simmer until the beans are soft.
5. Remove any excess water and reserve.
6. Heat the oil in a frying pan. Gently fry the ground cumin and coriander, the turmeric and chilli powder with the green chillies and tamarind juice, until they are well blended.
7. Pour the spice mixture over the black eyed beans and mix well.
8. Add the potatoes, fresh coriander, tomatoes and salt.
9. Mix well. If required, add some of the reserved water.
10. Reheat and serve.
For the five spice powder
Mix together equal quantities of Cumin, Black mustard, Fennel, Kalonji and Fenugreek.