Ghee or Vegetable Oil – 6 tblsp
Paneer – 225 gms, cubed
Onion – 1, finely chopped
Mint Leaves – few fresh, chopped, plus extra sprigs to garnish
Fresh Coriander – 1 cup, chopped
Fresh Green Chillies – 3, chopped
Garlic – 3 cloves
Fresh Root Ginger – 1 inch piece, sliced
Ground Turmeric – 1 tsp
Chilli Powder – 1 tsp (optional)
Garam Masala – 1 tsp
Tiny Button Mushrooms – 3 cups, washed
Frozen Peas – 2 cups, thawed
Plain Yogurt – 3/4 cup, mixed with 1 tsp cornflour
Salt to taste
1. Heat the ghee or oil in a large pan and fry the paneer cubes until they are golden brown on all sides. Remove and drain on kitchen paper.
2. Grind the onion, mint, coriander, chillies, garlic and ginger to a fairly smooth paste. Remove and mix in the turmeric, chilli powder and garam masala with salt to taste.
3. Remove the excess ghee or oil from the pan, leaving about 1 tblsp. Heat and fry the paste over a medium heat for 8-10 minutes or until the raw onion smell disappears and the oil separates.
4. Add the mushrooms, peas and paneer and mix well.
5. Cool the mixture slightly and fold in the yogurt.
6. Simmer for about 10 minutes, until the vegetables are tender and the flavours are well mixed.
7. Garnish with fresh mint and serve